Views are that of the author, may not reflect those of the Canadian Olympic Committee.
Each day of the Olympic Games, we will feature the Top 7 Canadian Olympic Athlete Photos drawn from the Bell Olympic Lens Fan-powered Photo Experience http://lens.olympic.ca.
Canada’s success at the Sochi Winter Games continued on Day 8 with a Bronze medal win and 3 for 3 Curling match victories. Denny Morrison won Bronze in 1,500-metre Speed Skating with a time of 1:45.22; while teammates Mathieu Giroux finished 19th with a time of 1:47.65; and Lucas Makowsky finished 28th with a time of 1:48.51. Canada currently ranks 4th in the medal standings with 4 Gold, 5 Silver, and 3 Bronze.
Women’s Curling Superstars Team Jennifer Jones continue to show Sochi #WEAREWINTER by relentlessly winning back to back games in the same day for the 2nd time in these Olympic Games. Team Jones started the day with a hard fought win vs Team Japan 8-6 and later in the evening dominated Team Russia to win 5-3 in the 10th end. Team Jones with a 7-0 record, clinches Curling Semi-Finals berth with one more round robin match vs Team USA on Sunday morning. Team Brad Jacobs winning streak has been extended to 4 straight matches with a back and forth win vs Great Britain 7-5. Team Jacobs improve their record to 5-2, tied for 3rd with the British in the round robin standings.
Other outstanding Team Canada results include: Marie-Pier Prefontaine – 20th – Women’s Super-G (1:28.67); Team Competition – 14th – Women’s Cross Country 4x5km Relay (59:13.6); Valérie Maltais – 6th – Women’s 1500m Short Track Speed Skate (2:24.71); John Fairbairn – 7th – Men’s Skeleton (3:48.13); Eric Neilson – 13th – Men’s Skeleton (3:48.77); and Mackenzie Boyd-Clowes – 25th – Men’s Individual Ski Jump – Large Hill (237.9 points).
7. Silver medalist Patrick Chan with COC President Marcel Aubut and many other Olympians
6. Silver medalist: Mikaël Kingsbury with Men’s Hockey players John Tavares, Matt Duchene, PK Subban, Jonathan Toews and Roberto Luongo.
5. President of COC Marcel Aubut speaking to the Men’s Hockey Team
4. Skeleton Racers: John Fairbairn with Eric Neilson
3. Men’s Curling: Team Brad Jacobs beat Great Britain 7-5
2. Women’s Curling: Team Jennifer Jones won two matches today to remain unbeaten with a 7-0 record
1. Bronze medallist in 1.500m Speed Skating: Denny Morrison