Views are that of the author, may not reflect those of the Canadian Olympic Committee.
Each day of the Olympic Games, we will feature the Top 7 Canadian Olympic Athlete Photos drawn from the Bell Olympic Lens Fan-powered Photo Experience http://lens.olympic.ca.
Canadians were up extra early this Sunday morning for a very gold reason! On this final Day 16 of the Sochi Winter Games, the world watched Men’s Hockey Team Canada defend their Olympic title while making history as the first nation in 22 years to do so! Men’s Hockey Team has won 8 Gold medals in the past 22 Winter Games including 2 out of the last 3. Team Canada executed a perfect Gold Medal Game versus Team Sweden by scoring a goal in each period winning 3-0. Canada’s Gold Medal Game scorers are Chris Kunitz, Sidney Crosby and Jonathan Toews while Carey Price recorded his 2nd shutout of the tournament. Double Gold medals for both Women’s and Men’s Hockey Teams in 3 of the last 4 Winter Games starting with Salt Lake 2002. #WEAREWINTER
Today’s Gold medal win in Men’s Hockey brings Canada’s total count to 10 Gold, 10 Silver and 5 Bronze, finishing 3rd in the overall standings. Shortly after the Gold Medal Game, the Closing Ceremonies commenced bringing the end to the Sochi Winter Games. Canada’s flag bearers were repeat Gold medalists in Women’s Bobsled Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse.
The successes of the Canadian Olympic Team at the Sochi Winter Games are not only measured by the number of medals won but by the Olympics values and inspiration demonstrated! Everyone will recall the selfless Canadian ski coach, Justin Wadsworth, who helped the Russian skier finish the race to Gilmore Junio offering his spot in a final race to teammate Denny Morrison. Our athletes are determined in their pursuit of excellence, they soar higher than they ever have before; when they fall they get back up and try even harder! Our athletes exemplify #GIVEYOUREVERYTHING! Our athletes have inspired every Canadian to believe in themselves and strive to be the best at what they do!
7. Men’s Gold medalists: Curling’s E.J. Harnden & Hockey’s Sidney Crosby
6. Figure Skaters: Meagan Duhamel & Eric Radford at Closing Ceremony
5. Men’s Hockey: Captain Sidney Crosby scoring 2nd goal vs Sweden in Gold Medal Game
4. Men’s Curling Head Coach Paul Webster & TSN’s Dan O’Toole at Closing Ceremonies
3. Women’s Bobsled Gold Medalists & Flag Bearers: Heather Moyse (L) and Kaillie Humphries (R)
2. Men’s Hockey: Forward Jonathan Toews scores the Gold Medal Game winning goal!
1. Men’s Hockey Gold Medalists: Goalie Carey Price & Defenseman Marc-Édouard Vlasic