TORONTO – The Canadian Olympic Committee secured its first-ever Canadian Marketing Association award for its “Give Your Everything” multi-media campaign, its most successful Olympic campaign ever, on Friday, November 30, 2012.
The Canadian Olympic Team’s largest and most integrated campaign launched May 7th 2012. It involved more than 100 of Canada’s outstanding Olympians and their coaches from more than a dozen sports, highlighting their inspirational efforts as they prepared and then competed for Canada.
The 15-week, national campaign featured more than 800 out-of-home placements, print, radio, digital short documentaries, a bus wrap and digital TV spots. The Canadian Olympic Committee also launched a rebranded and revitalized olympic.ca website, and a “Canada Cheers” App to better highlight Canada’s athletes and serve the needs of Canadian Olympic Team fans.
This campaign ignited a never-before-seen level of support for Canadian athletes competing at the London 2012 Olympic Games.
“We are proud of our podium finish. Our goal was to inspire Canadians and help make our athletes household names,” said Canadian Olympic Committee Chief Marketing Officer Derek Kent. “Now our sights are set on Sochi to tell the next chapter of our brand story around our winter athletes.”
“The ad campaign was fantastic. I was humbled to be a part of it,” said two-time Olympic medallist swimmer Ryan Cochrane. “It’s exciting to know that it’s in your face, these are Canadian athletes, and this is what they’re doing every day. I like how everybody is their own character. It really shows how different athletes can be.”
Canadians were reached far and wide, Highlights of the campaign include:
• More than 600 million media impressions and counting
• More than 100 million athlete mentions in media coverage
• With the re-launch of Olympic.ca, web traffic has reached new heights, besting a previous record set during the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games
• @CDNOlympicTeam-related Twitter content viewed by more than 31.6 million people and increased Twitter followers 350%
• Created an account for the @CDNOlympicMoose that attracted close to 2,000 followers during the course of the Games
• Facebook content has reached more than 10 million people
• Close to 350,000 ‘Give Your Everything’ video views on the COC YouTube channel.
• Many creative online congratulatory messages were created and shared on social and other digital platforms.
The COC developed this campaign in partnership with Proximity Canada, based in Toronto. OMD Canada was responsible for its media planning and buying.
To see the eight “Give Your Everything” digital shorts, and other content, please visit: www.olympic.ca/videos.
- 30 -
Canadian Olympic Committee Media Office:
Jane Almeida, Manager, Media Relations
Tel: 416-324-4120 / Cell. : 416-540-1788
Dimitri Soudas, Executive Director,Communications
Tel. : 416-324-4136/ Cell. : 289-388-6419