Coordinator, Content (18-month Contract)
Be part of building a national brand. Headquartered in Toronto, the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) is a national, private, not-for-profit organization committed to high-performance sports excellence. We are the largest private supporter of high-performance sport in Canada and we are responsible for all aspects of Canada’s involvement in the Olympic Movement, including the participation in the Olympic and Pan American Games.
Reporting to the Senior Editor, the Coordinator, Content is responsible for crafting unique owned stories to live on Team Canada’s digital channels. This individual is a passionate sports fan who is comfortable in going the extra mile to get the best story angle. They possess excellent attention to detail and are nimble against the tight deadlines required in sports journalism. The Content Coordinator is a team player who takes initiative in bringing forward innovative ideas and storylines. This individual is a dynamic writer who is comfortable in repurposing copy across multiple digital touchpoints (web, email, app, social). The position will play an important role in supporting the Digital team’s objectives for both the Santiago 2023 Pan American Games and the Paris 2024 Olympic Games.
This is an 18-month contract role, spanning from approximately May 2023 through November 2024.
This position will be located at either the COC headquarters in Toronto, ON, at 250 Yonge St. or in Montreal, QC, at 500 René-Lévesque Boulevard West. We offer a hybrid work model that allows for up to three days of remote work each week.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES AND PRIORITIES
- Create owned and original content for Team Canada fans across all channels (web, social, app, email)
- Produce entertaining, engaging and educational content for various formats including web articles, email newsletters, social copy, graphics and video
- Craft long-form evergreen articles to live on Team Canada channels (Web, app) that are optimized for SEO
- Curate blog-style and list posts
- Write sports features, previews, and recaps
- Assist with keeping historical (stock) content related to athletes, sports, and Games up to date
- Interact with and interview athletes and other personalities
- Effectively communicate with freelancers and stakeholders
- Use both quantitative and qualitative insights to optimize existing content and suggest net new ideas aligned with the strategy
Content Repurposing & Distribution
- Populate content for bi-weekly email newsletters
- Repurpose new content and refresh outdated web pages and evergreen articles
- Assist with the Team Canada mobile app & Canadian Olympic Club tactics
- Proactively update key landing pages with relevant and timely information
- Assist with social copy suggestions and/or scheduling
- Constantly monitor the sports industry and related news for timely content creation
- Other duties, as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND CRITICAL SKILLS
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or related field is preferred
- 1-3 years of relevant experience
Skills and Abilities
- Proven ability to create compelling original content with a savvy understanding of the digital landscape and best practices
- Foundational knowledge of SEO tactics
- Experience conducting interviews
- Strong writing ability with solid grammar skills
- Familiarity with WordPress and/or experience with digital publishing to CMS
- Ability to project manage and adjust to shifting priorities
- A firm understanding of content repurposing and distribution
- A strong collaborator that works cross-functionally with digital team members and other key stakeholders
- Ability to follow direction with precise attention to detail
- Proven initiative and accountability (able to deliver on deadline)
- Understanding of Team Canada’s brand, tone, stakeholders, and target audience
- Knowledge of Olympic sports and Canadian athletes a strong asset
- Bilingualism (English & French) a strong asset
- Experience with in-the-moment content capture for social media
- Understanding of basic digital photography and social media best practices
- Demonstrates and embodies the COC values of Accountability, Excellence, Fun, Respect and Bravery
Competitive salary based on experience, benefits package.
Please send all cover letters and resumes by March 31, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org, citing the position title in the subject line. No telephone calls please. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The COC is committed to ensuring our recruitment and selection processes and work environment are inclusive and barrier-free. At the COC, we celebrate and welcome the diversity of all employees and believe that having a team of individuals with different backgrounds, views, experience and capability working together makes us stronger and better as an organization.
Accommodation is also available upon request for individuals taking part in all stages of our recruitment and selection processes. Please advise the recruiter to ensure your accessibility needs due to a disability are accommodated. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.