Be part of building a national brand. Headquartered in Toronto, the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) is a national, private, not-for-profit organization committed to high-performance sports excellence. We are the largest private supporter of high performance sport in Canada and we are responsible for all aspects of Canada’s involvement in the Olympic Movement, including the participation in the Olympic and Pan American Games.
Reporting to the General Counsel and Corporate Secretary (“GC”) and based in the Montreal office of the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC), the Legal Counsel supports the in-house legal needs of the COC in all areas of its business, including but not limited to: drafting and enforcement of agreements, primary lead on legal matters for the Sport Department and COC Montreal office, general legal support to other COC business stakeholders, provides legal updates and training, legal and regulatory issues management and provides support for Board and Committee governance, as needed.
The Legal Counsel brings a blend of professional experience and personal qualities to the role that are consistent with and aligned to the COC Values.
This position will be located in the COC office in Montreal, QC 500, boul. René-Lévesque Ouest.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES AND PRIORITIES
Sport Business Partner: Act as lead on legal matters for the Sport Department, including support for the strategic and business planning and issues management of the Games, Systems Excellence and Olympic Performance teams.
Legal Support for Games: Provide input on the selection of the Ombudsperson as well as other external legal experts for the Games, manage onboarding process for these resources and help to coordinate and provide support to these resources in connection with the Games. Work directly with and report to the COC Games Legal Lead for Games-related matters and provide timely support to the resolution of any legal issue arising in the context of the Games.
Athlete/National Sport Organization/Sport Partner Services: Advise on matters involving athletes, NSOs and other Sport partners including legal matters generally impacting the Canadian sport system, including providing support to the COC’s Athlete Marketing team and collaborating with and supporting the Athlete’s Commission.
Business Development and Commercial Rights: Work in collaboration with the Marketing Partnerships, Business Development and Commercial Rights teams on legal and contractual aspects for Sponsor programs that activate in connection with athletes, the sport system and sport partners (e.g., athlete appearances, athletes’ grant programs, NSO support programs).
Contracts and Agreements: Assist in the creation and review of COC contracts including but not limited to Sport and Games and other goods and services contracts and agreements. Contribute to the development and implementation of a document control and filing system for all such contracts, as part of the COC document management system of the Legal Department and COC.
Governance: Provide support to the GC in connection with the COC Board/Session and COC Committees.
Human Resources: Provide guidance and support on matters related to Quebec employment standards, employment agreements, policies and procedures, and employee issues and complaints, particularly with respect to the COC’s Policy Statement and Guidelines on Conduct and other related employee matters.
General Legal Matters and Special Projects: Provide legal support and guidance on new and emerging legal topics, cross functional COC working groups and special projects as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CRITICAL SKILLS
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) or JD
- Practicing member of the Quebec Bar with the ability to seek Bar practice permit other provinces
- 3 – 5 years of relevant commercial or transactional law experience
- Experience in sport and entertainment law is considered an asset
- Relevant experience and demonstrated understanding of the Canadian sport system and/or Olympic Movement is considered an asset
Skills and Abilities
- Strong business acumen with an ability to present both pragmatic and creative solutions to issues both as legal advisor and team player.
- Possesses the ability to create an environment of trust and respect by building relationships, managing conflict, and influencing others with integrity to achieve desired results.
- Strategic thinker with strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills including the ability to present material, written and oral, in a concise, effective, and professional manner to a variety of groups and individuals.
- Credibility and presence to interact with, and present at, senior executive levels internally and externally.
- Possesses excellent judgment and common sense, and operates with discretion, responsiveness, and integrity, with the ability to function in a discreet, diplomatic, and confidential manner.
- Strong communication skills and ability to convey legal related advice to non-lawyers.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Financial and budget planning and resource management skills with strong attention to detail.
- Bilingual in both official languages (English and French – written and verbal) is required.
- Sense of humour.
- Demonstrates and embodies the COC values of Accountability, Excellence, Fun, Respect and Bravery.
Competitive salary based on experience, excellent benefits package.
Please send all cover letters and resumes by November 18, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org, citing the position title in the subject line. No telephone calls please. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The COC is committed to ensuring our recruitment and selection processes and work environment are inclusive and barrier-free. Accommodation is available upon request for individuals taking part in all stages of our recruitment and selection processes. Please advise the recruiter to ensure your accessibility needs due to a disability are accommodated. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.