Be part of building a national brand. Headquartered in Toronto, the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) is a national, private, not-for-profit organization committed to high-performance sports excellence. We are the largest private supporter of high performance sport in Canada and we are responsible for all aspects of Canada’s involvement in the Olympic Movement, including the participation in the Olympic and Pan American Games.
As part of the Communications team, the Communications Manager is responsible for managing the department staff, tracking projects, maintaining relationships with the sport department and National Sport Federation (NSF) community, and leading major projects such as Team Announcements and Media Summit.
This position will be located in the COC office in Toronto, ON at 250 Yonge St. Suite 3000.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES AND PRIORITIES
- Execute the strategic communications plan of the department as set by the Director, Communications and Media Relations
- Manage and execute the COC Communications Team planning surrounding the PanAm and Olympic Games, and all COC events and announcements
- Planning and implementation of media attaches for Games
- Act as lead for media attaches for Games.
- Manage the internal communications channels of the COC
- Help hire, manage and mentor staff, contractors and interns to ensure successful delivery on key COC objectives
- Inspire a culture of recognition
- Consult and work with the COC functional leaders to translate business needs into communications solutions
- Represent the communications team on working groups and serve as a liaison to the NSF communications leaders
- Manage COC’s external translation service and act as a liaison between COC departments and the service provider
- Help produce backgrounders, press releases, key messages and press kits in conjunction with the Communications team
- Manage and supervise COC-led media events
- Support framing and development of main message points for better position to media interviews
- Be on call evenings and weekends as required
- As Required – Oversee logistics and project management for Communications initiatives such as press conferences, media summit, partner activations and other corporate and community relations events
- Lead a team of 3 individuals to ensure they are executing on defined roles & responsibilities within the Communications function, they establish and successfully achieve their annual objectives and KPIs and are supported in their professional and personal development
- Participate in the annual business planning activities for the Communications function and team including budgeting, strategic planning, and other centralized business activities and, working with the Director, oversee the management of the Communications budget
- Adhere to timelines/deadlines as established for each project
- Work with and manager suppliers and partners
- Assist with the development and implementation of post-event evaluation and reporting
- Work with and support colleagues on inter-departmental projects
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND CRITICAL SKILLS
Education and Experience
- University Degree, College Diploma and relevant experience in a related field (ie journalist, writer, communications etc.)
- 5 – 7 years’ experience in communications including 2 – 3 years experience leading and managing a communications team
- Experience working with high profile senior executives, representatives from the sport and corporate communities, suppliers and vendors
Skills and Abilities
- Passionate about sport from grassroots to high performance
- Self-starter, motivated and takes initiative
- Strong attention to detail, administrative and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with timely or sensitive issues with discretion
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize in a high-volume environment and manage multiple tasks simultaneously with diverse requirements and varying deadlines
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Sound judgement in determining appropriate course of action quickly
- Strong planning and budgeting skills
- Ability to work positively in a team environment
- Aptitude for dealing professionally with a broad cross-section of stakeholders and representatives
- Flexibility and ability to travel and work additional hours and weekends in the periods leading up to events and in event execution
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Bilingualism (English and French) is an asset
- Demonstrates and embodies the COC values of Accountability, Excellence, Fun, Respect and Bravery
Competitive salary based on experience, excellent benefits package.
Please send all cover letters and resumes by January 2, 2019 to email@example.com, citing the position title in the subject line. No telephone calls please. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.