Responsible for working closely with Canadian Olympic Team (COT) athletes competing at the Games. Will act as mentor, advisor, and help prepare athletes to meet the challenge of performing at the Olympic Games. Assist with delivery of the Lounges in the Village(s) and Olympic Performance at Games.
REPORTS TO: Athlete Performance Officer
CONSULTS: Olympic Performance team and Village Managers
POSITION TYPE: CLOSED (Targeted: retired athlete who has competed at an Olympic and/or Winter Olympic Games)
POSITION SKILLS: Positive attitude, preferably bilingual, excellent interpersonal skills (patient, good listener, non-judgmental, approachable), ability to be a good host to the COT, team player, ability to multi-task, a clear understanding of the COT’s vision, and a willingness to give back and do whatever it takes to help athletes perform their best at Games. Good management of self under pressure situations and high capacity to deliver in a pressure environment.
- Olympic Preparation Seminar: 2 days in October 2021
- Games period: approx. January 27, 2022 to February 21, 2022
- Potentially participate in Olympic Orientation sessions.
- Participate in Olympic Performance team meetings and training sessions (conference calls and/or face to face as required).
- Attend the Olympic Preparation Seminar.
- Develop ideas for the creation of a high-performance environment at Games.
- Familiarize yourself with COT members, village layouts and services, team operational information, and general information provided on The Bridge.
- Contribute to communication plan to introduce athlete mentors to potential team members.
- Develop and foster an environment amongst athletes in keeping with the Canadian Olympic Team Performance Culture.
- Initiate daily contact with athletes to assist and motivate them in their journey and provide mentoring advice when approached.
- Create a welcoming and friendly atmosphere conducive to performance.
- Minimize distractions for athletes.
- Assist with crisis management, when required.
- Attend special team functions, when requested.
- Assist with the identification of athletes to attend special events/functions.
- Perform other duties as required.
Athlete and Support Team Lounge
- Assist with Athlete and Support Team Lounge set-up in the Village, including nutrition station and look and feel.
- Assist with the Inventory and Inspection (I&I) process, including the check-in and accurate placement of rate card items, specific to the Athlete and Support Team Lounge.
- Ensure there are snacks and drinks available for athletes and daily as planned schedule.
- In collaboration with other Mission Team members, manage Athlete and Support Team Lounge opening and closing.
- Ensure the lounge is a clean and safe space (including food areas).
- Ensure that Athlete and Support Team Lounge operational documents are updated and posted (weather, TV/events schedule, allergy warning signs, etc.).
- Assist with the takedown of Athlete and Support Team Lounges in an orderly and efficient manner and as per cargo plan.
Olympic Performance Team
- Attend any team meetings / daily debriefs.
- Assist with the planning for Village celebrations and ceremony parties.
- Welcome athletes to Village as part of Arrivals process as required.
- Deliver team messaging during Team Welcome sessions alongside Outfitting Officer.
- Develop and update the Athlete Recognition Wall in the Lounges.
- Liaise with the Olympic Performance team on any COT related issues.
- Support the COC in any outstanding team issues or required wrap-up.
- Contribute to post-Games debriefings and final operational report.
- Athlete Mentors should arrive on-site approximately three days prior to the official opening of the Village (pending final access allowance from Organizing Committee).
- Athlete Mentors will receive a familiarization tour upon arrival to the host city.
- The Athlete Lounge will be open from approximately 7 am to 11 pm daily (shifts may vary and be flexible pending timing of Opening/Closing Ceremonies and other competition and events)
- This role will be fully or partially accredited.
- Athlete Mentors will live in the Village.
APPLY HERE: https://cot.formstack.com/forms/cdm_form_2022