Triathlon Canada – High Performance Director
Position: High Performance Director (HPD)
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Location: Victoria, BC
Job Type: Full-Time Employee
Start Date: Immediately
ABOUT TRIATHLON CANADA
Triathlon Canada is the governing body of the sport in the country. Triathlon Canada’s more than 22,000 members include athletes, coaches and officials from the grassroots to elite levels. Triathlon Canada supports athletes in reaching the Olympic and Paralympic podium, but we also inspire any Canadians who just want to discover what they’re made of. Creating a culture of gold medal performances, Triathlon Canada is a national organization dedicated to promoting excellence in the sport. Our team of dedicated professionals are committed to the same expectation we have of our athletes and coaches who represent us: being the best in the field, whether it’s on the race course, in the training environment or in the offices and boardroom.
Triathlon Canada is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family status or disability.
Triathlon Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The High Performance Director (HPD) role is grounded in leadership, management and performance that will be measured against a world class standard. The HPD will hold the ultimate responsibility in developing, leading and executing the vision and strategy for the Triathlon Canada high performance program. Further, the HPD will operationalize the system and accountabilities required to promote the culture of performance excellence in order to underpin sustainable podium performances at the Olympic and Paralympic level.
A visionary and experienced senior technical leader with strong credibility in high performance sport and an Olympic/Paralympic pedigree, the incumbent must also have strong administrative skills to ensure they are able to manage the workload inherent to the realities surrounding a small organization; balancing vision and strategy with operations, planning, people management, evaluation, reporting and budgets. In depth understanding and experience within the Canadian high performance sport system will be considered a key asset. The individual must have a demonstrable track record of excellent communication and inter-personal skills. They must be capable of building and leading a team of staff and creating a strong team ethos within the coach and athlete cadre.
The HPD will work across the Olympic and Paralympic program, creating a shared vision for high performance while leveraging any and all opportunities to drive alignment and innovation to maximize athlete and coach performance potential.
The HPD will oversee all high performance athlete development programs, building and maintaining relationships with coaches around the country, implementing relevant policies and procedures, and the National Performance Centre. This may include planning any future growth to the training hub network as per the strategy and plan requirements. The HPD will also work with the provinces to ensure there is a close partner network and a collegial approach to talent identification, facilitating and supporting the seamless transition of athletes through the stages of development into high performance. Where appropriate, the HPD will also provide quality control to provincial coaching programs and provide insights into the latest training methods that may benefit Development Coaches.
Given the opportunities that exist within Triathlon across Canada alongside the challenges of operating in a geographically dispersed and federated country, the role will be grounded in building partnership and alignment to leverage any and all expertise aimed at supporting the development and delivery of a united vision for high performance and ultimately, competitive excellence on the international stage.
LEVEL OF AUTHORITY
Given the HPD will be held accountable for key performance outcomes (as identified in Triathlon Canada’s high performance and strategic plans), the HPD will be responsible and have authority over the high performance program, including the national team program and identified management areas in accordance with policies and budgets in force.
Leadership, Planning, Development, Management and Evaluation
- Lead the development and oversee the implementation of the strategic long term high performance plan to ensure sustained success at the Olympic and Paralympic level, including relevant benchmarks over the short, medium and long term horizon
- Lead the process of developing, reviewing and updating a rolling quadrennial high performance plan and annual operational plan
- Build and evolve a culture of performance excellence (coach driven and athlete focused), including the development and management of the required daily training environment and competition strategies within the national team program, including athlete IPP development, in collaboration with the integrated support team (IST).
- Articulate a vision in regard to building an appropriate training centre strategy and/or network that will work to underpin athlete performance requirements over the short, medium and long term; work may include collaboration with partners to identify additional National and/or regional environments as well as philosophies around the interplay between professionalism and national team realities.
- Develop clear and transparent team selection strategies, policies and program standards, drive communication and adherence to these policies, as well as the appropriate engagement/feedback to athletes and coaches on an ongoing rotation to underpin culture and performance requirements.
- Provide direction and pathway planning for talent identification and next generation athlete development in line with the overall technical direction and established program parameters.
- Select, orient and develop a strong team of national coaches and high-performance staff while promoting clear direction and expectations with respect to the preparation and implementation of training and high-performance programming.
- Develop an ongoing succession plan for key positions within the High-Performance department; facilitate professional development opportunities and continued learning.
- Design and conduct an annual and quadrennial debrief for OTP and evaluation of the overall high performance strategy, program, coaches/staff, athletes and overall performance including gap analysis tracking against identified metrics and indicators.
- Direct and manage integrated performance science strategy and budgets to enhance athlete performance including planning, delivery, evaluation, MOU development, monitoring and research in medicine, science and other related services.
- Ensure the high performance and operational plan are developed and implemented within the budget allocation provided through the CEO.
- Manage relationships, programs and processes across internal and external performance partners
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Post-Secondary level qualification in relevant disciplines.
- Five (5) to ten (10) years progressive experience in high performance sport.
- Proven record in leading teams to stated outcomes in multi disciplinary, cross functional environments while delivering on strategic objectives and performance targets.
- Analytical skills and proven record in strategic high performance sport system planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation at the national & international level.
- Exceptionally strong leader with the ability to motivate, inspire, manage, communicate and empower staff via communication and emotional intelligence toward a common vision through relationship building across a wide variety of stakeholders and partners.
- Proven consultative, facilitation and decision-making skills with the ability to problem solve and drive values-based decision making.
- Experience in developing strategies & proposals, developing and managing budgets, preparing reports and various types of documents, and delivering presentations.
- Knowledge of the Canadian High Performance Sport system including Sport Canada, Own the Podium, Canadian Olympic Committee, Canadian Paralympic Committee and the COPSI Network.
- Familiarity with World Triathlon, events and points system.
This is a permanent full-time Victoria-based position and includes a competitive benefits package as outlined in the Triathlon Canada Human Resources Policy Manual. This position requires extensive travel with availability out-of-hours and weekends essential. Salary will be based on qualifications and experience.
We thank all candidates for their interest. However, only qualified candidates will be contacted and invited to an interview. Start date will be confirmed with the candidate.
Candidates can email applications directly to email@example.com by October 31st, 2021.
Please indicate “High Performance Director” in both the subject line of your email and your covering letter.