Be part of building a national brand. Headquartered in Toronto, the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) is a national, private, not-for-profit organization committed to high-performance sports excellence. We are the largest private supporter of high performance sport in Canada and we are responsible for all aspects of Canada’s involvement in the Olympic Movement, including the participation in the Olympic and Pan American Games.
As part of the Communications team, reporting to the Director, Communications and Media Relations, the Writer, Communications is responsible for writing or editing all communications documents produced by the organization for both internal and external purposes.
This position will be located in the COC office in Toronto, ON at 250 Yonge St. Suite 3000.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES AND PRIORITIES
- Support the production of communications materials by researching, writing, editing and proofreading news releases, backgrounders, biographies, speaking notes, Q&As, key messages, scripts, newsletter articles, the annual report, presentations and other projects as assigned
- Contribute to the COC Communications Team planning and execution surrounding the PanAm and Olympic Games, and all COC events and announcements
- Research and write new content, ensuring consistency with COC key messaging
- Work with other COC departments to create and edit content
- Work closely with Communications team, coordinate translation of content as required
- Support the communications team by providing logistical and project support for other Communications initiatives such as press conferences, media summit, partner activations and other corporate and community relations events
- Adhere to timelines/deadlines as established for each project
- Work with suppliers and partners
- Assist with the development and implementation of post-event evaluation and reporting
- Work with and support colleagues on inter-departmental projects
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND CRITICAL SKILLS
Education and Experience
- University Degree, College Diploma and relevant experience in a related field (ie journalist, writer, communications etc.)
- 3-5 years of experience as a writer
- Experience working with high profile senior executives, representatives from the sport and corporate communities, suppliers and vendors
Skills and Abilities
- Passionate about sport from grassroots to high performance
- Self-starter, motivated and takes initiative
- Strong attention to detail, administrative and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with timely or sensitive issues with discretion
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize in a high-volume environment and manage multiple tasks simultaneously with diverse requirements and varying deadlines
- Sound judgement in determining appropriate course of action quickly
- Ability to work positively in a team environment
- Aptitude for dealing professionally with a broad cross-section of stakeholders and representatives
- Flexibility and ability to travel and work additional hours and weekends in the periods leading up to events and in event execution
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Bilingualism (English and French) is an asset
- Demonstrates and embodies the COC values of Accountability, Excellence, Fun, Respect and Bravery
Competitive salary based on experience, excellent benefits package.
Please send all cover letters and resumes by January 2, 2019 to email@example.com, citing the position title in the subject line. No telephone calls please. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.