Game Plan is a collaboration between the Canadian Olympic Committee, Canadian Paralympic Committee, Canadian Olympic and Paralympic Sport Institute Network (COPSI Network), and Sport Canada to provide Canadian athletes with resources for life beyond sport. Game Plan is a holistic approach to athlete development and total wellness throughout an athlete’s high-performance sport career, and beyond.
Through understanding the sport ecosystem, athlete needs, and resources currently available to athletes, five program elements were developed to address athlete needs and gaps in the current ecosystem:
- Career Management:
- Resources targeted at helping athletes explore and engage in different career paths (e.g., career counselling, networking, job postings)
- Network of individuals which provides expertise related to individual athlete needs (e.g., mentorship, alumni network, resources in remote places) and access to communities of interest (e.g., Parents, LGBTQ)
- Flexible schooling and learning opportunities developed through collaboration with education providers (e.g., universities, colleges)
- Skill Development:
- Broad and accessible portfolio of skill development opportunities (e.g., personal and life skills)
- Health Resources:
- Programs aiming to raise awareness to health related services and provide facilitated access to health resources (e.g., health insurance promotion, mental health services)
Ease of use and accessibility for athletes will be key to the program, with all resources being consolidated at www.mygameplan.ca. Specific resources will be delivered in multiple platforms at convenient times including through conferences, digital applications, one-on-one counselling, and group sessions.