The Canadian Olympic School Program (COSP) seeks to create the excitement of the Olympic Movement in the classroom and throughout the school. The resources are aimed at sparking discussions about values, telling stories that inspire, and encouraging students to work together to find creative solutions to suggested challenges and current issues. Written by teachers, for teachers, the resources are pedagogically sound, classroom friendly and adaptable. Our developers believe that:
- Learning is active and not passive. The learner must interact with the content to make it meaningful. This is one of the main reasons we offer our curriculum at different reading levels.
- Students learn in different ways. Some people learn best by reading; some people learn best by listening; some people learn best by doing.
- Applied learning engages the high school learner. Giving the students a role as they are presented with a challenge to solve is more meaningful than giving them questions to answer.
- Learning can be both an individual and cooperative activity. Young people need opportunities to work together as well as independently. They also need to practice cooperative behaviours in order to learn respectful behaviours.
- Successful learning occurs over time. It occurs through carefully scaffolded series of steps that connect to students’ prior understanding, actively process or practice new information, and finally transform their understandings into powerful demonstrations of learning.
As the media begin to focus the attention of Canadians on the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games, we hope that you will choose to leverage this excitement to engage your students in dynamic and inspiring Olympic-themed learning.
The 2013-2014 and Sochi COSP Resources are being released over the coming months:
- Teacher’s Guide: Click Here
Be a Champion For Life (Mental Fitness): Coming Soon
Engaging Girls in Physical Activity and Sport: Coming Soon
Comprehensive Health and Training Journal: Coming Soon
GO CANADA Bulletin Board: Coming Soon
My Podium Pages: Coming Soon
Destination Sochi: Coming Soon
Cultural Olympiad / Multimedia Campaign: Coming Soon
- Olympic Day Toolkit: Coming Soon