Become a volunteer for the Canadian Team
Over the course of 17 days, Canada will welcome athletes and visitors from around the world. Toronto will host the Pan American Games from July 10th to 26th, 2015.
The Toronto Games represent a unique opportunity not only for our Canadian athletes to compete on the international stage in their own country, but for an individual, such as you, to assist the Canadian Pan American Team (CPAT) by volunteering during this prestigious sporting event.
During these Games, the CPAT is seeking local volunteers in the following areas:
- Canada House
- Canadian Olympic Committee Corporate Operations
- Health and Science
- Performance Technology
- Team Services
*You will find a further explanation for each of the areas listed above on our employment page.
Local volunteers must be at least 18 years of age (as of or on May 1st, 2015) and have no criminal record. All successful applicants will be required to provide a Police Record Check (at their own expense). The CPAT will use electronic communication to share important information, so local volunteers will need a valid e-mail address and regular access to the internet.
- Will be required to join informative conference calls prior to the beginning of Games.
- Will be properly briefed and trained prior to the commencement of their assignments by their respective Games operational lead.
- Will be provided with a lunch or dinner when working through a meal time; complimentary snacks and beverages will be available throughout their shift.
- Will be provided with three pieces of team clothing.
- Are invited to attend the Local Volunteer Recognition Event.
- Will not receive any remuneration.
PLEASE NOTE THAT LOCAL VOLUNTEERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR
- Organizing, arranging and covering any and all costs related to travel (taxi, car rental, train, plane, gas, etc.) and accommodation (hotels, motels, hostels, apartments, houses, etc.) to and within Toronto.
- Meals when not working a volunteer shift.
- Transportation to and from their volunteer assignments (public transportation, parking, etc.).
NOTE: Local volunteers with the Canadian Olympic Team are not accredited, will not have access to competition/event tickets and will not march in the Opening or Closing Ceremony.
Submission deadline is Sunday, February 15th, 2015 at 11:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
The application process will help you and the Canadian Pan American Team (CPAT) determine the best match between your skill set and knowledge and the CPAT volunteer needs.
Step 1: Complete and submit the Volunteer Application Form by Sunday, February 15th, 2015 at 11 p.m. Eastern Standard Time by clicking the link below.
Step 2: A committee will review all applications and determine the best fit for each volunteer. Factors taken into consideration will include:
- The number of volunteers the CPAT requires for specific positions.
- Skill set, knowledge and familiarity with the functional area you have applied for.
- Ability to work in an ever-changing and fluid environment.
- For Canada House: Ability to commit to no less than one week of work and for preferably for the entire Games period).
Step 3: Successful applicants will be contacted and advised which functional area they have been assigned no later than Wednesday, March 18th, 2015.
Step 4: Upon confirmation of your role, you will receive a Local Volunteer Policies and Procedures document. Upon receipt, you will be asked to:
- Confirm your commitment to the Team.
- Acknowledge and commit to your role and accountability vis-à-vis your position.
- Confirm the dates and times you are available to volunteer (which must mirror at least 85% of the availability noted on your Volunteer Application Form).
- Return your signed Local Volunteer Agreement Form.
- Provide us with a Police Record Check completed by your local law enforcement agency (at your own expense).
Step 5: As part of the security screening process for local volunteers working with the Team, you may be asked to provide further personal information.
Please feel free to share this information with anyone else who might be interested in volunteering with the Canadian Team.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Canadian Pan American Team!