Remember when Sidney Crosby helped Team Nova Scotia to a sixth-place finish at the 2003 Canada Games tournament? Not likely. But who can forget his Olympic gold-medal winning goal in 2010?
This is the stuff of champions. And the Canada Games is a launching pad for some of the most incredible Olympic athletes this country has ever produced.
Today the Canadian Olympic Committee announced it will deliver a quarter of a million dollars in funding to the Sherbrooke 2013 Canada Games (beginning Aug. 7) and to three subsequent Canada Games.
Check out some of Canada’s most influential Olympic athletes to ever compete at the Canada Games:
- Sidney Crosby – Ice Hockey – 2003 CWG 6th place, 2010 OWG gold medallist
- Jenn Heil – Freestyle Skiing (Moguls) – 1999 CWG gold medallist, two-time OWG medallist
- Chandra Crawford – Cross-Country Skiing – 2003 CWG gold medallist, 2006 OWG gold medallist
- Hayley Wickenheiser – Ice Hockey – 1991 CWG gold medallist, four-time OWG medallist
- Cassie Campbell – Ice Hockey – 1991 CWG 4th place, three-time OWG medallist
- Jennifer Botterill – Ice Hockey – 1995 CWG gold medallist (ringette), four-time OWG medallist
- Diedra Dionne – Freestyle Skiing (Aerials) – 1999 CWG silver medallist, 2002 OWG bronze medallist
- Paul Kariya – Ice Hockey – 1991 CWG 10th place, two-time OWG medallist
- Catriona Le May Doan – Long Track Speed Skating – 1983 CWG bronze medallist, two-time OWG gold medallist
- Gaetan Boucher – Long Track Speed Skating – 1971 CWG, four-time OWG medallist
- Lennox Lewis – Boxing – 1983 CSG gold medallist, 1988 OG gold medallist
- Kristina Groves – Long Track Speed Skating – 1995 CWG gold and silver medallist, four-time OWG medallist
ED NOTE: (CWG = Canada Winter Games, OWG = Olympic Winter Games, OG=Olympic Games)